Hi there! It's me Svetlana.
Tonight I will cover facial masks. My mother, who is one of the biggest homemade cosmetics enthusiasts, used to say, "You can make a mask out of anything you can buy in a dairy or a produce section". I would make it "almost anything" (NEVER put onions on your face and avoid carrot-based masks in the morning like the plague!). Add honey to the list, and we are good to go.
Step 4. Facial masks (once or twice a week, or more frequently if desired).
General rules for preparing and applying natural face masks.
Masks have to be made from fresh ingredients right before the application. In general, masks for dry skin should be made with the addition of oils, cream, or sour cream. Fruits, lemon juice, raw egg whites, oats, and berries are excellent for oily skin.
The bottom line is: dry skin needs moisturizing and neurishment with very gentle exfoliation, oily skin needs cleansing, reduction in oil production, as well as exfoliation (removal of the old layer of skin). Normal skin can take any of the above, depending on the current condition: one day it may need more moisturizing, another day -- excess oil removal, but mainly it need refreshing, toning, and exfoliation. Combination skin may need a oily skin treatment for the "T zone" and dry skin mask for the rest of the face. Regardless of the skin type, treat area under your eyes very gently. Once you know your skin type, you are good to go.
All masks should be applied to a clean skin of the face and the neck using the upward strokes: from the chin towards the eyes; from the upper lip towards the ears; from the middle of the forehead towards the temple areas. Spare the eyes and the lips. Cleaning masks should be applied for 10 minutes, while moisturizing and nourishing masks - for 15-20 min. It should look like this.
During a masks treatment I recommend you lie down or sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet room with your eyes closed, and relax. Refrain from talking, or smiling (anything that can pull your skin) until you are done. Basically you face should remain motionless.
Carefully remove a light mask with a moist cotton ball, an oily mask - with a dry paper napkin. Wash the skin with lukewarm water (can add a touch of lemon juice of you have oily skin). Dry lightly with a towel and apply a toner, followed by a moisturizer (if you have dry skin).
1. These are four ingredients exceptionally good for dry skin: olive oil, honey, raw egg yolks. Usually for one yolk add ½ tsp honey and several drops of oil.
2. 1-2 Tbsp of mashed cucumber or cucumber juice combined with 1 Tbsp of heavy cream or sour cream.
3. Cut 1-2 fresh cabbage leaves into small pieces and boil in milk until they become mushy. Cool the mixture slightly and, while it’s still warm, apply.
4. Mix one teaspoon of each: cottage cheese, half and half (or heavy cream), and freshly squeezed carrot juice. You may skip cottage cheese, if you like. Apply. Attention: this mask may give your skin an orange hue (temporarily), so don’t apply before going out!
5. Mix one small packet of fresh yeast with a little bit of milk to achieve a sour cream-like consistency. Apply for 5-10 min.
6. 1 packet of fresh yeast mix with 1 tsp of olive oil.
7. Hot olive oil. This one is seriously good for very dry skin, especially in winter. Do it in the evening, so oil can be fully absorbed by the skin for a maximum benefit. Prepare a piece of plastic with holes for the eyes and the nose, to cover your face. Get a couple of face cloths and some gauze or cotton. Heat olive oil, and soak gauze or cotton cloth in it. Apply to the face and neck immediately. Cover with a piece of plastic (make sure your eyes and the nose are free) and then – with face cloth to preserve the heat. Keep on for 20 minutes. Wash off with warm water. Apply a toner, but not a moisturizer. In the morning the skin will feel and look fantastic.
1. 2 Tbsp cottage cheese, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp milk, 1/2 Tbsp carrot juice.
2. Mix well 1 raw egg yolk, 2 Tbsp sour cream, ½ tsp lemon juice. At the end add 1 tsp olive oil.
3. 1 Tbsp aloe vera gel (or fresh juice of aloe plant leaves), 2-3 Tbsp mashed cucumber, 1 tsp olive oil.
4. 1 Tbsp aloe vera gel or fresh juice, 1 Tbsp carrot juice.
5. 1 Tbsp aloe vera gel or fresh juice, 2-3 mashed strawberries, 1 tsp olive oil.
6. 1 Tbsp carrot juice, 1 raw egg yolk, ½ tsp olive oil. (apply ONLY at night. Carrots may turn your skin yellow-orange).
7. 1 mashed banana, 1 Tbsp milk.
1. Mix 2 tablespoons of a freshly ground apple with either one whisked egg white, or one teaspoon of flower. Apply.
2. Mix one teaspoon of each: fresh cranberry juice and flower. Apply.
3. Whisk 1 raw egg white and combine with 1 tsp of lemon juice. Apply the next layer when the first layer dries up and the skin tightens. Keep applying subsequent layers gradually.
4. 2 tsp ground oats (use a coffee grinder), 1 whisked egg white, 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
5. 2 tsp ground oats, 1 whisked egg white, 1 Tbsp honey, ½ tsp olive oil.
6. 2-3 Tbsp plain yogurt combined with 2-3 Tbsp starch.
7. Make strong black tea and cool it down until warm. Soak a piece of gauze in it and apply for 10-15 minutes.
8. Mash a ripe tomato and apply to the face and neck.
9. Mash leftovers of any berries (strawberries, raspberries), or fruits (apples, citruses, anything) and apply.
You have a combined skin if the so called “T-zone”(forehead, nose, and chin) is oily and the rest of your face is either normal or dry. One, of course, can use a mask for oily skin for the “T-zone” and a separate mask for either normal or dry skin for the rest of the face; however, it is a hassle. Here are several solutions for the whole face.
1. Whisk the whole egg until frothy. Apply to face and neck for 20 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
2. Whisk an egg white and add 1 tsp of lemon juice. Apply for 20 minutes, then rinse off.
3. Whisk one egg white, add 2 tbsp honey and 1 tsp baking flower. Apply for 20 minutes, then rinse off.
4. Grind a piece of cucumber and add a whisked egg white. Apply for 15 minutes, then rinse off.
5. Mash or grind one ripe tomato, add 2 Tbs starch and 1 tsp olive oil. Apply for 15-20 minutes, then rinse off.
6. Once or twice a week (not in the morning or before leaving the house!) grind a carrot and mix with one egg yolk. Apply for 20-25 minutes, then rinse off.
Enough for tonight. Good night!